Thursday, December 14, 2017

Resource Recommendations: General relativity, local tetrads and particle physics



I'm still self-learning general relativity. I have been a huge fan of Andrew Hamilton's amazing lecture notes on GR, black holes and cosmology. He goes through GR in pretty much full tetrad formalism. The reason he wants to do that is because some of the physics becomes much easier to understand in local tetrad frame, where everything just follows special relativity. That's the reason people working with particle physics in GR are interested in working with tetrads, I suppose.


While I think Andrew Hamilton's notes are the most amazing thing in this world, I find myself sometimes wanting to read more books on tetrads and particle physics. That's why I'd like to ask if anyone knows more fairly comprehensive sources to learn about tetrads and particle physics in GR. One thing I sometimes find is lacking in the above notes is exercises / example calculations (only in some chapters). This is why I'd especially appreciate resources with many exercises to master the basics.



I'd like to think my background in GR is not too bad right now, but I still find myself struggling with quantum physics from time to time.


Thanks a lot!


Too Long Didnt Read


I would like resources which have the following:



  • General Relativity

  • Lots of tetrads

  • Particle physics

  • Exercises & applications




Answer



Thanu Padmabhan's 'Gravitation: Foundation and Frontiers' is good both for General relativity and tetrad formalism.


Supergravity by Daniel Z Freedman and Antoine Van Proeyen has two chapters on differential geometry with first and second order formulations of general relativity. This is used to teach how to work with tetrads, also in conjunction with spinors. The book is very informative and teaches calculations very well, in general.


Antony Zee's Einstein Gravity in a nutshell is a book on general relativity that contains from the most basic concepts in general relativity to advanced topics which are useful for current research. The book is misnamed as a 'nutshell'(as Zee concedes in the preface) but is quite comprehensive.


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...