Sunday, October 20, 2019

An ad-hoc number sequence to solve


Inspired by another question here, I thought I might create my own:


Fill in the correct number in this sequence:



5, 3, 4, 9, 8, 3, 5, ...


And of course, explain why :)



Answer



I believe the answer is



12.



My reasoning is



Taking each word of the sentence "Fill in the correct number in this sequence:", count the number of letters and add the number of vowels. Equivalently, each consonant adds 1, and each vowel adds 2 to the sum of the word.

The numbers given correspond to "Fill... this" so the next word is "sequence". With eight letters, four of which are vowels, the total would be 12.



No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...