Saturday, October 12, 2019

cosmology - What is Cosmic Downsizing?


I've had a quick look at a few lecture pdfs and papers as supplementals to my own given lecture notes, but I can't seem to get a proper explanation for what cosmic downsizing is.


The closest explanation I have is that it is the lower population/size of large AGN or quasars in the current Universe when compared to high redshifted galactic observations.


How far off base am I?




Answer



That is the exact definition. Galaxies in the universe today are smaller than they were in the past. There is no good explanation as to why this is the case.


The first hit in the Google search you linked too seems pretty clear on this definition.


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...