Thursday, January 16, 2020

optics - Rainbow reflected on TV screen? (pic attached)



According to wikipedia,



A rainbow is an optical and meteorological phenomenon that is caused by reflection, refraction and dispersion of light in water droplets...



Given that we require reflection, refraction and dispersion to take place, I was quite intrigued when I saw that the reflection of light on the TV has scattered into a rainbow.


enter image description here This is how the light looks like: enter image description here



Can somebody explain this phenomenon?


Also the shape of the light in the reflection seems interesting, reminds me of interference patterns. I mean the light source is simply circular in shape. Any comments on that?



Answer



I think the regular pattern of pixels in your LCD screen acts like a diffraction grating, almost like the surface of a CD. I'm not suggesting that it is the pixels themselves but perhaps some finer, repetitive structure.


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...