Thursday, February 12, 2015

resource recommendations - Modern references for continuum mechanics




I'm wondering what some standard, modern references might be for continuum mechanics. I imagine most references are probably more used by mechanical engineers than physicists but it's still a classical mechanics question.


This came up in a conversation with my father (who is a mechanical engineer). I was curious to see the types of mathematics they use in stress analysis. Complex analysis gets used to study 2-dimensional isotropic material here:



N.I. Muskhelishvili. Some basic problems of the mathematical theory of elasticity. 3rd edition, Moscow-Leningrad. 1949. (Translated by J. R. M. Radok. Noordhoff. 1953.)



but that's quite an old reference and my library does not have it. Any favourite more modern and easy-to-find references?


I'm fine with mathematical sophistication (I'm a mathematician) but I'm not particularly seeking it out. I'm looking for the kind of references that would be valued by physicists and engineers. References "for math types" are fine too but that's not really what I'm after.




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...