Sunday, September 30, 2018

optics - Optimal laser wavelength for heating air


Lets say I want to heat air with laser,what wavelenght should I chose,ultraviolet,infrared or something in visible spectrum? To clarify,I want the laser beam to lose power and get converted to heat in shortest amount of distance possible. I am looking for maximum absorbtion, to convert the laser into heat.


When I think about it,two different wavelenght may produce equal heating of air,but the thing is one that have short range will produce heating that is more concentrated in space while other will heat air over longer distance so the energy will be spread over greater amount of air,I want that short range concetrated type heating so minimum quantity is heated to high as possible peak temperature.




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...