Tuesday, October 23, 2018

riddle - Find this Cricket terminology


Congrats Niranj Patel for finding the answer of Steve's crossword




Find this Cricket Terminology.




A part of me is famous for a drink,


I'll make the batsman out in a blink !


Sometimes I may be equivalent to a wrong'un,


But definitely make the batsman stun.


Again, I'm not right


This is my riddle for tonight.


Finally, a part of me is a guy


That's all, give it a try !




Answer




Are you the



Slow left arm wrist-spin bowling technique formerly known as Chinaman?



A part of me is famous for a drink,



Since we are talking about cricket, the drink is probably tea, which is a drink famously from China, and also served in china teacups. ("Punch bowl" also crossed my mind, but I liked the other one better)



I'll make the batsman out in a blink!




The chinaman spin is surprisingly strong, and in a surprising direction, so it's easy to miss altogether, resulting in the batsman instantly losing his wicket



Sometimes I may be equivalent to a wrong'un,



In cricket terminology, a "wrong'un" is a delivery that spins "the other way" than usual. A chinaman bowler is always left-handed, but the spin is like that of a right-handed spin bowler, so that probably counts.



But definitely make the batsman stun.



(Didn't really have anything for this.)




Again, I'm not right



Chinaman bowling is done with the left hand



This is my riddle for tonight.



Tonight is special, because tonight we don't talk (with or without Alan Partridge) about what happened at the "chinaman square" exactly 30 years ago.



Finally, a part of me is a guy




Chinaman



That's all, give it a try !


The closest I've ever been to actually seeing anyone play cricket is that I spotted some cricket grounds in Regent's Park on my trip to London once, so this is absolutely my very bestest try :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...