Saturday, June 8, 2019

string theory - What does the "T" stand for in T-duality?


First of all, I am not a physicist. I'm a graduate math student and recently I came across the concept of T-duality. Actually I'm studying generalized complex geometry, which according to this paper (Generalized complex geometry and T-duality) can be used to get some nice interpretations of T-duality.


After reading some of it, I thought the "T" stand for torus, because the the fiber are torus. But then I found another paper (Spherical T-duality) defining T-duality for $SU(2)$-bundles. At first I asked myself "Why keep calling it T-duality, if the fiber are not torus anymore?" Probably it means something else...


So, what does the "T" stand for in T-duality?




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...