Monday, October 7, 2019

cipher - Friend passed me this note after lecture


After my linear algebra lecture ended at 3:30 today, my friend passed me this note, but it seems to be encrypted in some way that I don't understand. What question is my friend asking, and what is the answer?


jjj


Feedback is appreciated, and I will add hints if necessary.


Hint 1:



There is a very good reason the characters look the way they do. It's not a simple substitution cipher.




Hint 2:



What does The class I'm Taking have To do with The cipher?




Answer



First of all, great puzzle! I am currently in Linear Algebra myself.



As is hinted with the capitalization of 'T' in hint 2, we first take the transpose of the whole message
enter image description here

Then rewrite the message with the rows side by side.

enter image description here

This gives the outlines of block letters, which reads as: WHAT MATRIX OPERATION DID WE LEARN TODAY?

The answer to this is, of course, matrix transposition.



No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...