Tuesday, November 19, 2019

enigmatic puzzle - The Baffling Birdcage


Entry into the Fortnightly Topic Challenge #22: Animals


I received a package today from a certain Mortin, and I assume that it's some sort of puzzle, knowing him.


Inside the package was a board of letters, remarkably similar to one of his paintings that I'd seen before, 4 green pieces, and some very short instructions that read as follows:




Hi there, friend!
Thanks for visiting my exhibition. Here's a little gift for you which I call 'The Baffling Birdcage'.
I'm sure the first step will be obvious. What might not be so obvious is that you can do it wrongly! In fact, only 2 out of 8 ways to do it will help at all...
Oh, and the answer is 4 letters long. A type of animal I think, but I might have gotten the letters mixed up.



Have fun!
Mortin Myes'




I've made a digital representation of the contents of the package below.


Something I should tell you is that Mortin has somehow defied the laws of physics with the letter 'i' he has sent me - despite seeming disconnected, the dot and the lower part move as one rigid object! How very strange.
Another thing is that the numbers and letters are printed on both sides of the pieces. The orientation of these is not important.


Anyhow, can you help me find the answer to Mortin's puzzle? I think he'd appreciate a reply back, sometime soon...


contents


Hint for step 1:




This puzzle is called birdcage for a reason. Try to fit 'bird' in the cage! There's only one unique way of doing this; Mortin seems to be talking about the rotations/reflections in his letter.




Answer



Step 1:



enter image description here



Step 2:



enter image description here




Step 3:



enter image description here



Step 4:



enter image description here



Step 5:




enter image description here



Step 6:



enter image description here



No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...