Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Near-impossible puzzle for Christmas


I'm going to setup a puzzle contest for my family and friends for Christmas. The puzzles are hard, but doable in 1-2 hours (along the lines of Sudoku, Crosswords and Logic Tables puzzles).


However, I have all of them ready, except for one. I would like to propose for one of them (randomly chosen) a near-impossible to solve puzzle. By near-impossible I mean:



  • It has a solution;

  • The solution is very hard to find, and impossible to solve in 1-2 hours for an intelligent person with access to the Internet and a computer;


  • The puzzle does not seem to be very hard (as I said before, something that appears to be solvable with some effort);

  • He/She will get the prize if stating that the puzzle is impossible to solve with the time and resources given to them.


Could you help with that? I will accept the most original puzzle satisfying these constraints in the next 24 hours. EDIT: Sorry guys, I got two answers that do not satisfy all constraints (both are far from near-impossible), so I'm going to leave the question open.


PS: Based on Ideas on puzzles for a scientific event, I came to the conclusion that this question is not off-topic (requesting puzzles).



Answer



Instead of taking "nearly impossible" puzzle, which can frustrate easily, I would suggest "open optimization problem". I.e. a task with many solutions, which can be ordered from worst to best. So everyone can enjoy it and find a solution, while it is still competitive.


For example:


Fastest way to collect an arbitrary army


Find a straight tunnel



Two spies throwing stones into a river


Knights and jokers


Maximize the number of paths


Or may be you can find something better with "optimization" tag.


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...