Thursday, October 4, 2018

Gauge fields -- why are they traceless hermitian?


A gauge field is introduced in the theory to preserve local gauge invariance. And this field (matrix) is expanded in terms of the generators, which is possible because the gauge field is traceless hermitian.


Now why did we choose it as traceless Hermitian? What was the insight behind the choice that made us expand it in terms of the generators? I read somewhere that 'the gauge field belongs to the Lie algebra' and I tried to follow it up, but I can't make any sense out of what I read. Can anybody explain in clear, intuitive terms?




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...