Wednesday, August 7, 2019

fluid dynamics - How do the vortices in vortex-induced vibrations (VIV) form?


I am currently doing a research project on the topic of the Vortex Bladeless technology in a technical college course. I have been researching VIV and the intuition behind this, but I am still confused as to the cause of the initial vortices.


I can see that after the vortices are created, there will be oscillating high/low pressures and therefore will vibrate the cylindrical structure. However, this does not explain how the initial vortices are formed at the structure's resonant frequencies. I have only seen explanations for what happens to the given structure when the vortices are present.




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...