Saturday, October 5, 2019

riddle - The answer is buried there somewhere


Wow, the little negative cow army had a balmy sun war.
The forty richest blameless homesteaders await the answers.


Who did the cow army fight in the war?


Hint #1:



arMy




Hint #2:



I wouldn't mess with 2,3,7, or 8. They seem pretty tough.



Hint #3:



You may get some help from Sherry, my nurse.




Answer




The whole mysterious text



is an anagram of
MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMB
ITS FLEECE WAS WHITE AS SNOW
AND EVERYWHERE THAT MARY WENT
THE LAMB WAS SURE TO GO
OSTRICHES



so I'm guessing the cows were fighting the




ostriches.



(All credit to @Alconja for doing the hard work. If you like this answer, go and upvote Alconja's. Opinions eagerly solicited on whether I should delete this so that Alconja can get all the credit.)


Incidentally, the hints



led me completely up the wrong garden path, because the numbers 2,3,7,8 happen to have something in common -- they are exactly the digits that can't come at the end of a square number -- and then "Sherry my nurse" has word-lengths 6,2,5 and 625 is 5 squared squared ... so I was sure there were some mathematical shenanigans afoot :-).



No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...