Tuesday, October 10, 2017

matches - Billion Matchsticks



A little twist on the "move the matchsticks" puzzle.


I placed a bunch of matchsticks on my kitchen table and formed a number with them (6,111,100). I am asking, how can you move just two matchsticks, so that you get a number as close as possible to one billion (1,000,000,000)?


enter image description here


Remark: Thanks to Mr Pie for awarding a bounty to Deusovi. His answer was the intended one, but BreakingMyself provided a similar one first; that's the reason I gave him the checkmark.



Answer



A quick and dirty answer, hopefully this is it!:





As you can see, just two matches moved to create '1,000,000,000' :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...