Friday, October 20, 2017

newtonian mechanics - Why does Newton's Third Law actually work?


My father explained to me how rockets work, and he told me Newton's Third Law of motion worked here. I asked him why it works and he didn't answer. I have wasted over a week thinking about this problem, now I am giving up. Can anyone explain why Newton's Third Law works?


For reference, Newton's third law:



To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction: or the mutual actions of two bodies upon each other are always equal, and directed to contrary parts.





No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...