Thursday, October 19, 2017

Polarization of light upon reflection



I was wondering (since I've looked pretty hard and haven't been able to find anything)- are there any models that explain the polarization of light upon reflection? Everywhere I've looked I've seen things like the Brewster angle mentioned, and empirical data, but I haven't yet found any theoretical models that explain this type of polarization. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Or have no such models been made?



Answer



You may wish to look at the Fresnel formulas (see "Fresnel Equations" Wiki page), which are derived from the Maxwell equations.


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...