Sunday, July 29, 2018

states of matter - Why did my windshield freeze instantaneously?


It was very cold outside, this morning, when I took the car that slept in the snow, with a simple cloth on the windshield. I entered the vehicle, drove a kilometer or so. The air inside was so cold I could see my breath (or maybe I forgot to brush my teeth). Warm air was blowing on the windshield from the inside and suddenly…


The glass in front of my became opaque, starting from the bottom (the place where the hot air was blowing) and freezing up, up, up until the whole screen was filled in about 5 seconds. It reminded my a little bit of how some baterias spread.


When I tried to remove the mist, I realised it was ice in the car. My windshield instant froze.


I know the theory behind supercooling: a very cold and still liquid can freeze when moved. I'm not sure what happened here, but there were some pretty big turns in the road before it froze. It really looked like the hot air froze the place and not the movement.



Any idea about what happened ?



Answer



Maybe that was just window frost (http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/frost/frost.htm - "forms when a pane of glass is exposed to below-freezing temperatures on the outside and moist air on the inside")?


No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...