Saturday, December 21, 2019

enigmatic puzzle - My God, it's full of stars!


An entry in Fortnightly Topic Challenge #32: Grid Deduction Hybrids




My dear friend, unknown to us, may have relocated again. He sent me imagery and constellation maps indicating that a distant red spiraling galaxy was at his zenith, and nearly collinear with the largest local galactic cores. Where was he?


Imagery


Maps 1



Maps 2


(easier to print version): Image 1 Image 2 Image 3


Hint



In all three of my Grid Deduction Hybrids entries, I use a similar method to suggest the rules or constraints. Namely, I present multiple grids and provide the full solution to one of them, with the solution obscured in some way.

Other than that, as I mentioned in the comments, eddieriofer is definitely thinking along the right lines.



Edit 2019/04/20


I just now noticed the bounty Sensoray was kind enough to place on this puzzle. All of the solvers in this series have contributed some beautifully annotated progress. Phenomist and Thomas Blue's cooperation here has been inspiring.


My inexperience with enigmatic or hunt style extractions has led to all of them (except the Meta) being agonizingly close to completion save for final extraction, which has been the focus of some post-mortem reflection I will write out at some point in the future. To nudge this one a little closer, here is a hint:




Phenomist's speculation is definitely in the right ballpark. One small-scale piece of information from the calibration hints hasn't been utilized yet...it might help your speculations be a bit more precise.





No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...