Sunday, June 9, 2019

riddle - I am the last of the three



With hopeful eyes, you gaze at me


Hoping to catch up


Never do you really see



The drink that's in your cup


You think that I've got all the answers


And for all I know, I might


I might have the cures for colds and cancers


But you have to give me the might


You never know what secrets I hold


The gifts and curses I bear


Wait long enough, and you'll have been told


The knowledge I can share




What am I?



Answer



Are you



The future?



Title: I am the last of the three



Past, present, and the future




With hopeful eyes, you gaze at me
Hoping to catch up
Never do you really see
The drink that's in your cup



Kids can't wait to grow up, and in many western cultures it's common to expect that the future brings better things, even though we would probably be better off concentrating on what we already have ("the drink that's already in our cup"), trying to find happiness there.



You think that I've got all the answers
And for all I know, I might
I might have the cures for colds and cancers

But you have to give me the might



Maybe things actually will get better, but not without us, in the present, putting in the effort.



You never know what secrets I hold
The gifts and curses I bear



The future moves ahead just as quickly as the present, so we can never know the future.



Wait long enough, and you'll have been told

The knowledge I can share



As you grow older, you learn things that were, from your earlier point of view, in the future, so you get to know your portion of that future. And then the future cannot tell you any more knowledge, because you'll die. Possibly in a freaky atomic bear-shark-hybrid related incident. You don't know that you won't!



No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...