Monday, October 2, 2017

quantum mechanics - Electromagnetic Field as a Connection in a Vector Bundle


I would like to know more about Ehresmann connections in vector bundles and how they relate to the electromagnetic field and the electron in quantum mechanics.


Background: The Schrödinger equation for a free electron is


$$ \frac{(-i\hbar\nabla)^2}{2m} \psi = i\hbar\partial_t \psi $$


Now, to write down the Schrödinger equation for an electron in an electromagnetic field given by the vector potential $A=(c\phi,\mathbf{A})$, we simply replace the momentum and time operator with the following operators


$$\begin{array}{rcl} -i\hbar\nabla &\mapsto& D_i = -i\hbar\nabla + e\mathbf{A} \\ i\hbar\partial_t &\mapsto& D_0 = i\hbar\partial_t - e\phi \end{array}$$



I have heard that this represents a "covariant derivative", and I would like to know more about that.


My questions:




  1. (Delegated to Notation for Sections of Vector Bundles.)




  2. I have heard that a connection is a "Lie-algebra-valued one-form". How can I visualize that? Why does it take values in the Lie-algebra of $U(1)$?





  3. Since a connection is a one-form, how can I apply it to a section $\psi$? I mean, a one-form eats vectors, but I have a section here? What is $D_\mu \psi(x^\mu)$, is it a section, too?




I apologize for my apparent confusion, which is of course the reason for my questions.




No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...