Sunday, December 1, 2019

Can we see refraction of light in the air with our eyes?


Can we see refraction of light in the air with our eyes? I am asking that because every night I see that the light in the street moving little is that because of change in the air?


I do not mean Street light interference.



Answer



Sure, that is what the wavy motion over a hot car is, and also the cause of mirror-like mirages on deserts and hot roads. Stars also twinkle due to the same effect. Not sure about street lights per se, but I'm sure there are combinations where air refraction of light would show up there also.



No comments:

Post a Comment

classical mechanics - Moment of a force about a given axis (Torque) - Scalar or vectorial?

I am studying Statics and saw that: The moment of a force about a given axis (or Torque) is defined by the equation: $M_X = (\vec r \times \...